20 October 2022
Date: October 20, 2022
This presentation is for all physiotherapists, but will focus on physiotherapists working in small, private physiotherapy businesses that may lack formal policies and resources to support disclosure.
Sometimes, despite physiotherapists’ best efforts, bad things happen. Disclosure of harm is a mainstay of responding well to patient safety incidents. This presentation will:
Provide an overview of the disclosure process, including:
- Responding to and disclosing patient safety incidents when they occur,
- Investigating patient safety incidents,
- Subsequent disclosure of investigation findings.
Answer common questions
- What do we mean by disclosure? Don't people know they've been harmed?
- Why disclose harm? How does disclosure support therapeutic relationships and trust in the health system?
- How can physiotherapists do disclosure well? What are the steps to take? Who should be involved? What information should be included?
Beth Gorchynski BA, MSA is a Lead on the Health System Improvement team at the Health Quality Council of Alberta. She has over 25 years of experience in the health sector working within Alberta Health Services as well in continuing care supporting quality and safety in the delivery of health services.Click here to watch the webinar.