11 June 2019
On November 19, 2018, the Government of Alberta’s Bill 21: An Act to Protect Patients received Royal Assent. The Bill sets our several amendments to the Health Professions Act. The changes affect all regulated health professionals in Alberta, and the stakes are high.
This webinar will include:
- Background leading up to development of Bill 21: An Act to Protect Patients
- Key provisions in Bill 21 that are relevant for physiotherapists
- Definitions/understanding of sexual abuse/sexual misconduct
- Mandatory penalties, including publication
- Mandatory reporting requirements
- College’s requirement to develop Patient Relations Program
- Review of Standard of Practice on definition of a “patient”
- Key tips to avoid complaints relating to sexual abuse or sexual misconduct
Leanne Monsma is an Edmonton-based lawyer practicing in the areas of professional regulation, labour and privacy. She assists numerous professional regulatory organizations in Alberta and provides advice on issues such as governance, registration, professional conduct, unauthorized practice and legislative compliance.
Leanne also has experience in smoothly and effectively handling:
- Privacy issues
- Access to information requests
- Other privacy matters
- Human rights complaints
- Workplace investigations
- Wrongful dismissal claims
Leanne routinely offers live presentations and webinars to her clients. Most recently, Leanne has offered presentations on Bill 21 and its impact on professional regulatory organizations and their members. In the past, she has also offered presentations or webinars on professional discipline investigations, cannabis in the workplace and the impact of the #metoo movement in the workplace.